Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Moms, kids, and motorcycles

Where in the World is D Today?

Wondering how Sean and Tim would do on a motorbike... as kids?

I've adjusted in my brain my thoughts on children and scooters. Yeah, it's really dangerous, but it's a normal part of life in Taiwan. When I see kids on scooters now, I think its really cute, their innocence and seeming lack of fear. The smaller ones cling to their mom like baby Koala bears, with a helmet. Often kids stand in front of their mom or dad and hang on to the braces of the mirrors. They are "one" with the scooter.

A few weeks ago, the weather was warm and I went for a walk. While waiting for a cup of lemon green tea from my favorite tea stand, I noticed a mom getting her kids prepared for their ride. I'm guess the kids were maybe 6 and 9 years old. It's hard to tell, Taiwan kids are really small. Anyway.... she helped the younger get his little helmet on, backed the motorbike out of the space, steadied and the kids proceeded to get on. The younger stood in front of mom, nestled between her arms. The older child was struggling to climb on the back. And like something off of the nature channel, I see mom's arm reach back, lift the kid into place, makes sure she's settled and safe, the kid reaching around moms waist and off they go. The moment was pure and sweet.

This scene probably plays outs hundreds of times a day. Parents are parents all over the world. They want they kid safe and well. As I watched this, I reflected back to when Sean and Tim where young. Would the scene played out as normally as that one did? Would I be criticized for putting them on the motorbike with me? Would they have been as willing and trusting to get on it with me?

I think the answer to all of those questions are yes. I would probably get arrested for child endangerment in the U.S. Would the boys have trusted me, of course they would have, that's what kids do. And they would have been chatting up a storm, just like I see Taiwan kids do with their parents.

The question to really ask is, "Would the Darryl of his early mid 30's been willing to ride with his kids on a scooter?" The answer to that question is no, assuming a scooter would have been available to me. The 40 something Darryl sees more possibility now. I'm smarter now. I'm still a bit of a worry-wort at times, It's my nature.

When the day comes to go back to the U.S., and who knows when that might be, a motor scooter is definately in the plan. And if there's any way I can make sure the boys have one too, I will. It will be a gas crusin' with the boys on scooters!!

That thought makes me smile really big!

Peace

戴格智

No comments: