Sunday, March 22, 2009

Catchin Up On the Past Few Weeks.

03.22.2009 10:30PM

Where in the World is D?!

Missing in Action, sort of.

Over the past week or so, I've been in another transitional place where writing was either not possible due to time or just took to much energy to do. So let me give you some high lights.

The Gym
The gym still rocks. The showers are still awesome. BUT, I've noticed some of the members "checking me out" in the locker room. This could be due to a couple of things. If you've ever seen me without my shirt, which only a few of you have, you have seen the huge scar running down the middle of my stomach. The scar is a remnant of a very sickly childhood spent by yours truly. I've lived with the scar for over 30years and tend forget its there. Or, the looks could be due to other curiosities. To that, the teacher in me says, "Eyes on your own paper mister!"

Taiwanese Dogs and Evolution.

Do you remember that crazy Taiwanese dog I told you about before? I have concluded that Taiwanese dogs are a more advanced species than American dogs. I see that one dog everywhere. He is the mangiest thing you've ever seen, but clearly a survivor.

Taiwanese dogs are by and large pretty polite. There seems to be a number of stray dogs in Jhongli, but it’s not like wild packs of them everywhere. I have seen the same ones over and over again. These pups are pretty precocious. I have seen this happen no less than three times… dog comes to a corner..looks left and right, waits and then crosses in the crosswalk! The first time I noticed it I was on my way to work when I saw this dog on the corner the first time it happened. It was something truly special. Taiwanese dogs are clearly more evolved than American dogs. These dogs would punk U.S. dogs in about 10 minutes.

Bills

I got my first bill in Chinese. Hmmmmm. What do I do with this? So what does one do with some of the bills you get in Taiwan? Take Them To 7-11!!! You can pay bills at 7-11, how cool is that! I think I mentioned 7-11 in one of my first blog entries since moving to Taiwain, but I can’t emphasize enough that 7-11’s are EVERYWHERE in Taiwan. Sometimes there are 2 on one block. Taiwanese love the convenience of 7-11. There is also Family Mart and . But you can only pay bills at 7-11.

The Movies
I went to go see Watchmen a few weeks ago. Did anybody else think that movie was…. Well… kinda weird. The pop culture references, of which there were many, threw me of. And the whole Nixon serving a fifth term is just ridiculous! I found myself thinking, I wonder if all of this is lost on Taiwanese viewers. I Slumdog millionaire and the Read on my list coming to a theater near you. Last weekend I went with friends to what is called the “Second time around” theater. You can see two movies for $100-140 NT. (in American money, that is about $3.15. A pretty great deal all around. I saw a really crappy indie film with Daniel Craig called Flashback of a Fool, and I also saw Bolt. Bolt was cute and funny. I saw Slumdog Millionaire today and seriously needed a hug afterward. But I see why it rocked the Oscars!

The Job
I had my first evaluation last week. It went well. I was pleased overall. I don't really feel threatened by the process. I will make the adjustments necessary and keep in mind it is not about me personally. Actually, they said I was a "natural teacher" and need to tighten up my lesson plans and stay closer to the core of what the English Village does. No worries there. OK, that's not true. I do worry about getting it right. But I also believe I can get it right.

The Human Condition
As I pass through my day I cross paths with all sorts of people. Young, old, in firmed, desperate, lost.... The human condition is the same everywhere. I wondered if they can read my face and eyes as I try to read theirs. The worry in a parents eyes over their kids well being and future is universal. I know the look. I've seen it many times as I look in the mirror. Even as I feel so alone at times, I know I'm not alone in the things I'm feeling and thinking. So at times like those I try to step back and be thankful for my many blessing. And hope and pray that they keep coming. We are all one step away from catastrophe, I don't want my tombstone to read, "Died of thirst while standing in the middle of a stream." Think about it.

Peace

D

No comments: