Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Do Good Because It's Good. More Adventures in Teaching.

Where in the World is D Today?

Wondering will happen to his 6th grade students.

There are few things I desire more in life than to do good. Maybe it's because I have a huge ego, though I don't think it's that. Maybe it's because finding purpose in life. I don't think it's that either. Maybe it's because I feel like an NBA player next to some of these kids. Nope! That ain't it either. It's pretty simple. I want to do good because my daddy taught me to. I love that man! And ultimately, I think every person that goes into teaching does it because they want to do good in the world. Even if they were raised by my Pop.

Is there something personally very cool and affirming when a kid finally understands whatever it was you were trying to teach them. There's this small celebration everytime that happens. But it's a terrible feeling when they don't understand what in the world you're talking about. Every teacher who reads this has experienced the extremes of joy and agony we get from our kids.

Today was the 6th grade graduation at Chungli Elementary School. Even though it's only be 5 months, I can say quite easily, "These are MY babies!" That is the connection I have with them personally, when in fact, they are the babies of their everyday classroom teacher. That is the person who has made the deepest and most important impact in their lives. I'm just the cool foreigner guy who comes in once a week. But I still think I made a positive and significant impact in their young lives.

I wonder what will happen to my babies. Their path is still set for the next 6 years. Will I ever see them again, not likely. How many future teachers are in this group? Many I hope because they have Good Hearts. And the profession needs lots of good hearts.

I love being a teacher. I love my students. And I think they like me a little bit too. A couple of the boys gave me flowers, a mark of deep appreciation. So did I do Good in their world? Yeah, I think so, maybe just a little.

Enjoy the pics from the day.





































2 comments:

iNsIDE cHinO's HeAd said...

aww...they are all adorable!

LeoTheLioness said...

Very cute kids. Looks like it was a good day!

These kids will probably NEVER forget you. Even though you may not "run into" them after you leave Taiwan, a peice of you will be with them for a long time. How cool is that!!!!!