Thursday, October 9, 2008

Me and my car

They say, whoever "they" are, that you can measure a man by how he dresses and by what he drives. In my case, how I dress probably applies, but by what I drive... Not even close. Someday I'll post a picture of myself, but for now you see a picture of my car. It's fun, sporty, some say sexy. And given I'm 47 years old it is often suggested, a mid-life crisis. It's definitely fun and sporty! Sexy, gosh I just don't know about such things. If so, were are all the lingerie models?! (I'm just sayin')

What it is, is affirmation. Not of wealth or some worldly success, but actually one of love and understanding. You see, I've wanted a Corvette for the last 20 years or so. I don't know if you've priced a 'Vette lately, but they ain't cheap. When Saturn came out with this sporty little number the Sky, the possibility of seemed feasible to have a fun car, if not an actual corvette. But, lest I forget, I was a single parent of a 16 yr. old son at the time. As I was fretting over if I could make the payments or not, he came and sat beside me and said, "Papa, you've spent all your time and energy raising me and Sean. Just do something nice for yourself this one time."

So you see, In that one instant, I had affirmation that not only was I loved, but my son "got it". He understood and appreciated that parenthood is complicated and we do the best we can and hope our kids don't turn out a crazy as we are. It's a given that he will be some day. We all, no matter how hard we try turn in to our parents on some level. But in this case. I think I can have some hope that he'll be OK. And every time I get in the car, I think of Tim, and smile.

1 comment:

Life As g said...

Absolutely beautiful. You have a million reasons to be proud of your son.

But isn't it nice to realize - they have just as many reasons to be proud of you!

Welcome to the blogosphere!