Monday, October 20, 2008

Nobody throws me my own gun and says Run, Nobody

I love the movie The Magnificent Seven. The title of this post is a very cool line from that movie. The gist of it is, I have the right to be in a given place as much as anybody, and I will not be run off. Thus he goes back and makes his stand.

This past Friday night my niece Lindsay got married. I think she would agree we have our own special relationship. She even requested a dance just for me at the reception. A memory I will cling to forever. Nick, her new husband, is sweet and gentle and I know will cherish her all her life. The trick here is Lindsay is a niece on my ex-wife's side of the family. Things have been...... shall we say odd, with me and her family for a while. Odd to the point where Lindsay wasn't entirely sure if she could/should invite me. That being said, I miss some of the family deeply. Lindsay and her sister Megan are right at the top of the list. Over the years I have felt a bit like that gunslinger in The Magnificent that has been thrown his own gun and told to run. But Friday things changed for me.

Thank you Darlene for inviting to sit at the clans table. It only lasted a few minutes but I am eternally grateful to you. It was Genuine gesture of your love for me. And to Kristy, my sister in law and mother of the bride, you still rock in my book! The two "outsiders" that held and supported the other in our own unique way in weird family times. You guys are the villagers that made me Want to come back and stand my ground!

So Lindsay and Megan (and Taylor) expect to have your Uncle Darryl back. But be careful what you wish for I may become that "weird" uncle. (Though I already sort of was.) But hopefully I'll be more of the "cool" uncle. But I hope my fate turns out better that of the gunfighter. He gets killed in the big shoot out at the end.

Post Script - I added Taylor in parenthesis on purpose. I've never had the relationship with him that I had with the girls. For various reasons I suppose. But when I saw and spoke to him at the wedding I was so impressed and excited to see the young man he's grown in to. I can see him thinking for himself in a way I hadn't before. It was VERY cool to see. Taylor's is a story I truly want to keep reading to see how it turns out!

2 comments:

Life As g said...

Every niece and nephew should be so lucky to have you as their Crazy Uncle Darryl.

They will never find a more loyal friend and family member. I hope they know the Magnificent One they now have on THEIR side.

kmonokwe said...

I wanted to mention (for the amazement of your large audience) that you taught me to tango in that special dance, and it was amazing. I desperately hope that someone caught it on video. I love you SO much Uncle D - and for the record, I never wondered whether I ought to invite you. I always knew I just had to. God works in mysterious and amazing ways. Much love.