Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good Night Ma :(

Where in the World is D today?

Mourning my mothers death.

My mother was the matriarch of the family. She lived a long and full life. The Cosby's we ain't, but none of us kids are in jail, all graduated from high school, I graduated from college, all are reasonably productive members of society. We're just everyday folk, living everyday lives. Some ups, some downs.

My mother died yesterday. Here are a few observations of the experience. I wrote a few weeks ago about a lady who died alone. My mother did not. She was at home surrounded by her children and some grandchildren. She went quietly but fought to the very end. So I can't say it was easy. It would be very uncharacteristic of my mother to give in easily. So that makes me smile a little.

I have not had a hard cry yet. I've been processing this outcome for a long time and to this point intellect has overridden emotion. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

She died around 4 PM. The mortuary picked up her body between 7:30 and 8PM. This means my mothers lifeless body was there in a house full of people for approximately 4 hours. And not once during that time did it seem strange. Family meandered in and out past her body easily, yet respectfully. Each stopping to say goodbye; to touch her, to kiss her, to tell her one last story, or to pass through to the kitchen to get a drink or food. It took on a different meaning when they came for her and my sister said, "If you want to see her before the take her, this is your last chance." I went in one last time, as did everyone else. I don't know what everyone else thought, but my thoughts were, "This is the last time I will see my mother in a natural state." A person after being embalmed looks anything but natural.

I sighed a sigh of relief when I was by myself. I was glad she was finally released from that broken body.

I have absolutely no doubt that my mother is singing and dancing with Angels tonight. She believed, as do I, that Christ is our Lord and Savior. There are few things that I am absolutely, unequivocally, 100% sure of... except for this.

I've seen people kiss a deceased person before, but I never had. I thought it was... odd. I kissed my mom yesterday. I "get it" now.

Good Night Ma.