Monday, December 1, 2008

Invisibility

Where in the World is D today?

Same place as usual, but can you see me?

I really like the radio program This American Life. This show is right up my alley for looking at normal everyday types of stuff in a different way. If you're not familiar with it, you ought to trying listening some time. Every week they take a theme and have 3-5 stories/essays on that theme. A few weeks ago the theme was Home Alone. The first story of home alone is what has been bumping around in my head for the past couple of weeks.

Mary Ann was an older lady who lived and ultimately died, alone, in L.A. It turns out that the L.A. Police dept. has a unit of people to look into and find relatives. There was nothing.... no one. Eventually they found a nephew. Mary Ann's cremated remains were eventually buried in a grave with a bunch of other, over 300, unclaimed people over 10 years.

This, along with my mother dying from cancer, got me thinking about my solitary life. We live in a world built for couples. Unlike Mary Ann though, I do have family that would claim me. It would be a short search to find them. But that's not the issue. The real issue is how long would it take for somebody to realize I was dead?

My neighbors know me. I'm the guy that gives gifts of bread and cookies every fall to the houses around me. I like to cook and I couldn't possibly eat it all. They know my snazzy little car. They appreciate when I walk over to say the party is a bit too loud instead of calling the police. Sometimes I even hangout and have a beer with them. I'm pretty sure I'm well liked and respected. BUT..... It is not uncommon for me to go several days, even a week with no meaningful, face to face, contact with other humans.

Yes, Of course, I leave the house. People see my body wondering about, but as an unemployed person, no body expects me to be anywhere, so I wouldn't be missed. I am in fact, invisible in our society.

I was born with a factory second body and have made my peace with death long ago. I don't fear it, but I don't think I want to die alone either, especially if I KNOW it's the end. Even as a Believer in Christ and life in Heaven where I know I will be better off. To die alone is a sad thing to have happen to anyone.

None of us knows when it's our time to go. So I've tried to quietly get my house in order, just in case.

If I do go alone and my organs spoil, I'm going to be really ticked! It may sound strange, but because of the aforementioned birth defect, I can't give blood, but I am proud to say I am an Organ Donor . I've been taking pretty good care of my body so somebody can have a good heart, or lungs, kidneys or liver. (I don't have a gall bladder or spleen anymore.) I want the doctors to take it all! Every time I see a blood drive advertisement I get a little sad, but take comfort in all the other cool stuff I get to share. Hopefully later than sooner for the record.

I will continue my quest for partnership, love, whatever may come .... But in the meantime, if you see me looking peeked, SEE ME. Make sure somebody gets my stuff!

(As an aside, if you're reading this and you're not an organ donor, please think about donating your organs. They might come in handy after you don't need them them anymore.)

4 comments:

Life As g said...

How can I possibly find the adequate words to respond to this blog post?

I feel completely invisible.....

kmonokwe said...

Nick and I both listen to This American Life consistently. It is one of his favorites. Greta has said it: what can be said? I'm all the way down here in Oklahoma.

Where in the World is D? said...

Let me say for the record, I was just making an observation. Not a plea for help or attention. I hope I don't slip in the tub or catch pneumonia, but it could happen. It does to lots of folk everyday that live alone. It's just one of those very sad things. Did you check out the link on Organ Donation. Pretty cool stuff!

Where in the World is D? said...

Please allow me to make a point of clarification/correction. I made the statement, "...with my mother dying from cancer". Let me state that she has not died yet. She is in the process of dying.