Thursday, August 27, 2009

Simple and Mundane

Where in the World is D Today?

Nowhere. Today is the same as yesterday and the day before that.

A few days ago I was chatting online with Tim's girlfriend, Alia. Alia is truly one of my favorite people on this earth. During the chat she made a comment that was something like, "Since you left you have all this crazy stuff happen to you." I of course responded with I only write about the "interesting" stuff and my life is not as crazy as it may appear on the blog. If I work to keep a daily account of my life on the blog, it would look a little something like this.....

Got up. Turned on CNN. (CNN in Tawain is Different than in the U.S. It's based in Hong Kong and doesn't have any national focus. It's very global.)

More coverage of "The Ashes" Cricket tournament?! Good lord, how long is this match going to be?! And who cares. Do I really need to know the weather in Mumbai?

Take a shower, have a glass of doujiang (soybean milk) and some bread. And I'm out the door.

Walk to work. Waved at 4 people along the way.

Said one generic good morning to my co-corkes when I come in, turn on my computer and get some hot water for my morning cup of liu cha (green tea).

Check my email, and MSN.

Check the U.S. news on the internet.

*Depending on the day, I am either teaching, surfing the net, or chatting on MSN, or practicing my Chinese. It will probably be some combination of all those activities on any given day.

Get of work and walk to Starbucks or the gym.

Get some dinner, walk home.

Talk to Jackie, the doorman, for a few minutes and go to my apartment.

Check my mail, maybe chat on msn, maybe watch a movie. Read a little Go to bed.

There you have it. My life in a nutshell. Not very interesting.

Is there more stuff that happens during the day, yeah, but I don't think you want to read. "Crossed the street 100 times today and didn't die."

Being the thinker that I am, my brain is of course a lot more active than my body.

My thoughts as I walk from point to point range from the ridiculous, "I wish I could make all time stop! And if I could what would I do?" To the really Duh, that's so obvious, "Boy, this walk would be a lot easier if the sidewalk was level." But lately most of my thoughts as I walk are about my foot, which still hurts, and if I am "Doing whatever it is in Taiwan I'm supposed to be doing." You know my regular search for meaning and purpose.

So there you have it, My so-called life in a nutshell. I shouldn't be sarcastic. I have a good life. Today I was able to get out of the bed; think, dress, eat, and go to the bathroom on my own. A lot of people who wanted to, couldn't do that today. So even as I search for meaning and the ever elusive peace and comfort, I know it could be worse and I am truly thankful for my simple and mundane life.

Peace

戴格智

No comments: