Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thoreau Is Deep and Obvious - Typhoon Day 3

Where in the World is D?

Hangin'Out With Henry David Thoreau.

The problem with not having internet or cable during a typhoon is it gives one, more specifically me, too much time to poke around inside my own psyche. I've always been a deep thinker about the world and my place in it. So to my friends who say, "you think too much." I say, well... maybe. But how do any of us grow lest we put thought into the what's, why's, and how's of life.

I don't think you can really make a living at philosophy, nor am I trying to, so I offer the following quotes by Thoreau to express my current thoughts and feelings, the dichotomy of those feelings and a short response to each.


"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."
大眾的男子導致生活安靜絕望。I don't know about the mass of men, but this definitely me these days.


"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
這不是什麼你看看這問題,那是你看到的。Being able to see the difference between Your truth, My truth and the real truth is the challenge isn't it?

"Things do not change; we change." 事情並沒有改變,我們的變化。Hmmm. Time is the Only constant in the universe. Whether you call it minutes, hours, or days. It Always goes at the same rate with the rising and setting of the sun each day. If the sun stops rising in the east and setting in the west, we are going to have a VERY BAD DAY. Outside the passing of time, CHANGE in inevitable. Knowing when to change AND what change to make is the trick.

Peace

戴格智

No comments: