Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Birthday part 2 Or (My life as a Panda!)

Where in the World D?

Partying like a Rock Star and Startled at how similar he is to a Panda Bear?

I was just explaining to my friend Ming that my sense of humor is sometimes too odd for Taiwanese people. It's not them it's me. Who else would compare themselves to a Panda Bear, seriously. Just Bear with me. get it bear.....

Here's the deal. This is really an extension of the blog entry "Not exactly a celebrity.." Last week was my birthday. On Tuesday, my actual birthday, I went to the movies with Jane. I had my traditional movie with a nice person and had good conversation afterward. On day two, Wednesday the 6th, I went out with Ken, Ivor and Gary. The military guys from work. I also ran into Yama. Yama is the manager at the guy. He was there with a few people from the gym. Tommy is the one who's name I remember.





So while we're there, we upgrade to the VIP section next to the dance floor. (My ears were ring for two days afterward by the way.) So we are in the flow. So between my school friends and Yama, I am meeting a ton of people, many of which were women. Here's where the Panda part comes in. When I went to the Taipei Zoo a while back, the line of people trying to see the Panda's was pretty long. Similarly lots of people wanted to meet me. But at the end of the day, you don't really want to take a Panda home. They are cute and entertaining from a distance, but what do you really have in common with them. You feel really good when you see them, but you're really OK leaving them at the zoo. I sometimes feel like that Panda. (This really doesn't apply to Ken, Gary and Ivor. It was their idea to take me out in the first place. The were in the cage with me, not one of people coming by as a spectator.)



So here's how I approach this... If you're a Panda, do you appreciate the attention. Yeah. Every Panda can dig on a little extra attention, especially on it's birthday! I had a wonderful time! But the Panda can't really begrudge the zoo patrons for going home and leaving the Panda at the zoo. It's normal. Especially after only being at the zoo for three and a half months.






Over time I know I will be less Panda-like. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the moments of being the star attraction at the zoo, knowing that it is only for a very brief moment, excepting it for what it is and keep moving forward. Someday, I'll get up off all fours, speak understandable Chinese and people will say, "Wow, A talking Panda! He looks friendly and seems pretty tame. Let's take him home and get to know him better."

Oh, I haven't said it on my blog or Facebook, but as a not so casual observer, Taiwanese women seem to come from a VERY Good gene pool! But, that's just my opinion.

No comments: