Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Funny Look of Love

Where in the World is D?

Reflecting on how strange love looks.

My family and friends love me. This I know. How? The amount of advice and concern people have expressed to me in the last couple of weeks tells me so. It all comes from the heart. Truly, the deepest parts of care and nurturing. Here is what I promise to each of you as I take this trip.

I promise not to each any unwashed grapes.

I promise not to loose my Christian faith and to seek out other believers.

I promise not to get married.

I promise not to spit gum on the sidewalk and get arrested.

I promise to learn sensitively the cultural differences and not be an ugly American.

I promise to understand that there are good and bad people everywhere and not to get got by the bad ones because I was naïve.

I promise to boil my water.

I promise to look both ways before I cross the street.

I promise to dance Salsa some way some how.

I promise to stay in contact either through email, scype, blog, or Facebook.

I promise to have a beginners mind.

There is probably a request from someone that I’ve forgotten. Please forgive me if you don’t see yours here. Trust me when I say that in the moment of potential catastrophe I will hear your voice and take a different path.

I only ask this in return. Remember I was raised well. Remember that I have experienced much in life and am still standing. Remember that I am worthy of your trust.

Gulp!!

No comments: