Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Where In the World is D Today?

Contemplating how big this Really IS.

Who of us can remember all the little stuff when we were in the 5th or 6th grade? I remember virtually nothing specific from my 5th grade year. In the 6th grade I remember being in the hospital, a lot. I remember learning about space and rockets while in the hospital and at home recooperating. I remember Harold. A kid in my 6th grade class that looked after me when I returned to school; Harold would play with me during recess when I couldn’t run and jump with the other kids. And I can remember how upset he got when another kid punched me in the stomach. I thought Harold was gonna kill that kid. I can remember being on Safety Patrol and the sense of importance I felt through it. I can remember talking myself out of a fight on the playground after school and thinking, “Hmmm maybe being smarter than the other guy can work to my advantage.” My point here is routines and events. We remember routines such as being in my spot everyday for safety patrol and events such as having surgery.

I was thinking again about my “oddness” on my walk to work today. When it struck me that my being so different can and should be such a wonderful thing for these kids. I don't know what lies in their future, but I hope I become one of those remember when stories. You know the type..... "Remember when we were in fifth grade and went to the English Village and we had the Black teacher? I couldn't understand a word he said, but he was really cool."

I often don't know what's "meant to be" and what's just happenstance. This I do know, I want my teaching to always be meaningful. Last week some kids from some of the county schools were calling me Obama. The kids at my school where fussing at them. It was all in Chinese so I don't know exactly what was said, but I had the sense that it something along the line of, "He is OUR teacher and you will not disrespect him!" That felt good. This coming week I start teaching my 6th grade English class and I was speaking with Will, on of my fellow English teachers and got his thoughts about using that natural curiosity about President Obama and Black people. Now, I have to realize that they are learning English and are young, But I can feel in my gut some very teachable moments in my future. Will agreed.

So wish me luck as I search for the very delicate balance in teaching. Remember the goal here is about getting them to speak English. And if my differentness is the gateway to speaking, then bully for them. Everybody wins! They get better speaking skills and I get to engage them in a way that I am intimately familiar with.

Man I Love being a teacher!

No comments: