Saturday, February 14, 2009

Slow shaky hands

Where in the World is D Today?

Going back to school.

Everyday is a new adventure right. A new opportunity. To get better and go forward we might have to go backward. That is where I am right now as a teacher. After a many years of printing in any way that suited me. I know find myself needing to print letter in a way that suits English Language Learners.

This is another thing I’ve taken for granted for so many years. In the U.S. it never made any real difference that when I hand wrote something I would write out this odd combination of capital and small case letters. Everyone could read it. But here, as another part of my immigrant experience, especially that of a teacher, that mixture of characters and symbols just wont do. They don’t make sense here. I have to do just like I did in elementary school.

So today, I have been writing and writing letter after letter. It’s not particularly interesting and my eyes are about cross-eyed. In a week or so, I’m hoping it will feel normal.

How do third graders do it!

No comments: