Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Day in America!

Where in the World is D Today?!

Sitting in AWE of history.

Welcome to the new world America! I am still struggling to find the words to describe how excited I am about America electing Barack Obama as President of the United States of America.

To say I'm excited, just doesn't do it.

To say it's a great day for America, just doesn't do it.

To say I'm a prouder than ever to be an American, just doesn't do it.

Last night I wept twice. While talking to Tim and at the end of Sen. Obama's acceptance speech. I was so glad that Tim called me. I couldn't hear him in the middle of the party. Then I couldn't hear him outside either. But I could remember watching Barack Obama's convention speech in 2004. The first time either of us, and most of the country had ever heard of him. Tim said then he thought Mr. Obama would be President some day. I love his speech but didn't think America was ready. Then when Sen. Obama announced his candidacy 18 months ago. Tim was excited but, I still didn't think America would actually elect a Black Man President in my lifetime.

Then the Iowa Caucaus's happen and I thought, "Hmmm, that's weird." The more time went on the more I believed which lead to me giving my time, my energy, my feet, my best effort to get Sen. Obama elected. I just saw on the news that Missouri ultimately went to Sen. McCain. BUT, the campaign won Boone County. It's bitter sweet, but that is the turf I walked, knocked and persuaded voters long and hard for! I hurt my left foot a week ago, but kept going. My foot hurts, but my heart is so lifted. The pain just didn't matter during his acceptance speech.

Yes, today IS the start of a new day in America. America is a very young nation compared to rest of the world, but last night we moved from adolescence to the beginning of adulthood as a nation. We still have many hard days ahead. And just because Barack Obama got elected, doesn't mean all the ills in America have gone away. I got called a nigger last a half a block away from the campaign office! It hurt just as much as ever.

But I believe more than ever that so much is possible when in this nation, a nation with a long history of racial ills can elect a Black Man with name Barack Obama. God Bless America!!

No comments: