Monday, November 17, 2008

What's Random and What's A Purpose

Where in the World is D today?

Today, I'm cleaning egg off my house.

Sometime between Halloween and the following Saturday afternoon someone egged my house. If I were a betting man I would bet Halloween, and I just didn't notice until I drove into the drive way Saturday evening. Then it happened again about a week later.

I have been told a zillion times since my world turned all wobbly, "Things happen for a reason." Can someone please explain to me the "reason" my house got egged. After talking to a few neighbors I learned of a car getting egged and a tire getting slashed. There was a reason for this?! The implication of things happening for a reason is there's some lesson to be learned. Where's the lesson? Seriously.... I don't get it.

Maybe things DO happen for a reason. I've never used that less than comforting platitude with anyone because, sometimes people are just mean and stupid. Or the universe just seems too big for my brain to manage. It's random. Again, I could be completely wrong because I can't see the reason.

So.... If you feel the need to express that particular sentiment to me in my moments of doubt and frustration, be ready for the follow up question, "OK smart guy, What's the reason?!" And I genuinely expect you to have a good concrete answer.

No comments: