Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Rules

Where in the World is D Today?

Digging "The Rules" out of his Wallet.

For anyone that knows me, they know I am a rule follower. I don't carry an annotated Harvard Law book with me everywhere I go, but I admit that I can be a fuddy duddy when it comes to rules in general. Society needs rules, lest society run amok. I was the Dudley DoRight and Jimeny Cricket in my neighbor growing up. (OK, I finally admit it!) And in college, and at school, etc, etc. You get the gist. But I've been known to be bad on occasion. Just the other day I crossed the street and the light was red! No signal or nothing, I just crossed without any regard to the over arching impact on society. Next week I may try J walking just to stir things up. Hey, I can be as dangerous as the next guy! Chant it with me. AN - AR - CHY! AN - AR - CHY!

A couple of days ago I was having a bad day. A Really, Really BAD day. Nonetheless, in my post Looking for Matching Baggage, I mentioned rule number 1 on my list of rules to live by. Since I gave you that one, I thought I would share the rest of the list. The list is not too long, and in pretty good shape after some 20 years. Yes, I didn't just make that up, 20 years. It has, of course, been altered over time. Some things have been added, some jettisoned as I've grown as and gained small bits of wisdom here and there. I wish I could say they were all original. Some have been stolen and modified for me. (Robert Fulghum fans might recognize my variation on a few.)

So without further adieu, here are the 10 Darryl Douglas really easy, always pragmatic, non-negotiable rules to live by.

#1 Never do anything for the sake of hurting someone.

#2 Always be a Friend.

#3 Give everyone the benefit of the doubt and say less than you think.

#4 Don't take it personally (I'm horrible at this one. Good advise from a colleague when I taught high school. Give me another 20 yrs. or so to work on it. I'm faking it until then.)

#5 Always Love your neighbor, and Always pick a good neighborhood to live in.

#6 Always have Faith, and Always build your house on high ground.

~The last few fall more into the area of proverbs than rules even though they have numbers. Regardless, they are good enough to keep in mind when traveling down life's highway.~

#7 The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong.... But it's wisest to bet that way.

#8 Thoughts on Winning: It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.
#9 Thoughts on Losing: It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.

#10 Thoughts on the Game: Play to Win!

So there you have it. Another glimpse into the psyche of a guy known as D.

On last thought, the latest rule to be added to the list.
#11 When the opportunity presents itself, Always Choose Love.

No comments: