Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Routine - Chillin' with Pie and Shaq at Starbucks

2009.04.11 13.00PM

Where in the World is D Today?

Letting the Sunshine In?

I haven't done a very good job of keeping up on my blog, except for some of the crappy stuff that happens. Sooooo.... I'm going to keep it light for a little while, lest you think that I am hating my life here. Because the opposite is more true. I like my life here.

Things have really settled into a routine-ness (Yes, I know that's not a real word.) that is quite mundane. Here's my basic day. I get up, take a shower, get dressed, go in the kitchen, take a deep sigh to relax because my roommate seems to enjoy having trash in the apartment. I eat breakfast and walk to work. I smile and say "Ni Hao!" to three different street side shop clerks on my way. I get to school, turn on the computer have a seat and check to see if I have good email. The answer is usually nope.

I then proceed to find "a happy place" in my head. (Some of the people I work with are just soooooo.... hmmmm....... The nicest word I can find is dumb. I then proceed to teach some of the most fabulous children around. Then I walk home, more smiling and waving. Ni Hao! Get home, change and off to the gym or Starbucks. "Hello Darryl!" Usually one, then the other. Get some dinner, go home Starbucks is my Cheers. It's the place where everyone knows my name.That's Sunny and Winnie in the picture.


[A quick aside here, yes I know everything in my blog is one aside after and another on. Deal with it! :) Anyway, I walked into Starbucks last Sunday after going to the gym to see if Shaq, Pie and Cindy were there. The place was packed and as I come in, as if rehearsed, the whole staff says very enthusiastically "HELLO DARRYL!" Everyone looks up! I just smiled and waved at everybody. It was the funniest thing I had seen in a week. I love this Place.] So I worked, eat, go home, Sigh another big sigh when I go to the kitchen for water. Then to my room for the rest of the night.

There's nothing exotic to my life. My life plays out just like everybody else in the world. There's some sleep, some smiles, some frustration, some working, some playing and back to sleep. The only difference, I live in a country where they speak Chinese. The rest would look like any other place in the. And I like that.

That sameness of routine and hopes and desires binds us all together. And after a week where North Korea attempted launching another missile with only Lord knows for what purpose, I smile and rest in the comfortableness of routine.

No comments: