Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Stuff Gone Bye-Bye

2009.04.07 10:21PM

Where in the World is D Today?

Coping with letting go of some stuff.

There are some things that I’ve come to the conclusion that I am going to have to give up. Some I give up begrudgingly, some have required a real shift in thinking. You can decide for yourself which is which.

Sports
– I’ve always liked sports. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s my whole life… But dang, I sure do miss Sports Center! I miss being able to go to a local bar and watching March Madness. This would have been a great year with Mizzou returning to prominence. I’m not a HUGE baseball fans, with the exception of the Boston Red Soxs, but Opening Day of Baseball Season is a big deal. I’ve tuned in to the marathon coverage on ESPN for at least 4 years now. It’s a rite of spring. L Lord help me when the NFL season starts!

Tempting fate - I have come to conclusion that I have to consider “splitting the pole” a silly superstition I will have to get over. (OK, that IS a big deal for me!) But it’s a concept that is difficult for people in the U.S. to understand, I didn’t even try to explain it in Taiwan. I still cringe and look over my shoulder every time it happens. And it happens a lot, like every time I walk anywhere, with anybody.

Cereal - Cereal should be its own food group. There are no two ways about it. But in Taiwan cereal comes in the intsy-weensy little boxes that I finish in a day and a half. So it's either give it up or stock up like the end of the world is at hand. People here think I'm odd as it is, (come to think of it, so do people in the U.S. hmmm...) Anyway, why add fuel to the fire.

My fear of Traffic - I am slowly, but surely, coming to grips that Taiwanese drive scooters, and cars, like Freddie Kruger on crack. More on that later. I have a rant in
me that needs to be let out before I can completely put my fear to rest. But in the meantime, I am not going to freak out when I see a scooter coming dead at me. He or she is probably just going to a parking space, ON THE SIDEWALK! It's a normal thing. I just need to breathe through it.

Until next time...

Peace

No comments: